Popsicle Stick Canada Day Flag Craft
Jun 25, 2015
With Canada Day fast approaching we decided to show our patriotic colours and create some red and white decor. Kiddo had a blast using several different mediums to put this together, and did the large part of it independently. I created mine first and she just followed a step behind me. If you would like to make your own Canadian Flags, here is what you need:
-14 popsicle sticks per flag
-Red bingo marker (or paint and brush)
-Red washable marker
-Ribbon or string for hanging (optional)
1. Paint 6 popsicle sticks red with bingo marker to create the two end red sections of the flag (you could also just use paint but my kiddo had a blast with the bingo marker!!)
2. Lay out 2 plain popsicle sticks horizontally with about 2" in between them to be used as your back pieces. These are what you will glue all the other sticks on to.
3. Spread liquid glue on to the 2 back pieces
4. Start creating the flag by placing 3 red sticks, then 6 plain sticks and then another 3 red sticks onto your back pieces. (just like you are building a little fence)
5. Once dry, you can draw your maple leaf into the centre of the plain sticks or encourage kiddo to try and draw their own! I was super impressed with how well my 2.5 year old did drawing something that looked like a maple leaf.
6. Attach ribbon or string to the back side to hang if desired
By Taren McDonell